It’s official the sun is shining in the UK, and the summer racing calendar is fast approaching!
Known as the Sport of Kings, British horse racing is quite rightly associated with the elegance of a bygone era. Three summer meetings that stand out for their style, glamour and socialising are;
- The Investec Derby Festival – Epsom – Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd June
- Royal Ascot – Tuesday 20th to Saturday 24th June
- Qatar Goodwood Festival – Glorious Goodwood – Tuesday 1st to Saturday 5th August
If you’re planning to attend, ladies will need fascinators and frocks; with morning suit and top hats the sartorial statement for gents. Don’t forget a pocket of cash that you’re happy to lose or thrilled to accumulate, depending on your luck!
Is there anything more quintessentially British than a summer picnic? Thankfully, most race meetings will allow you to picnic in certain enclosures or areas.
At The Investec Derby Festival race goers are allowed to take picnics into the Lonsdale Enclosure (when open) and the Hill. – Read More.
At Royal Ascot picnics are permitted in the Windsor and Heath Enclosures only. Queen Anne Enclosure, Village Enclosure and Royal Enclosure guests are welcome to enjoy a picnic in car and coach parks – Read More.
At Qatar Goodwood Festival you may picnic within the limits of your car parking space. There is a Three Furlong Picnic Car Park where you can reserve a berth on the rails at the three-furlong point. – Read More.
With that in mind we thought we’d share our top three tips for a perfect race day picnic hamper:
- Keep it bite size – Nobody wants to end up with egg on their face or their frock… So bite-size canapes are the perfect solution!
- Save some for later – Make sure your picnic hamper is well chilled so you can crack it open for second servings at the end of the day whilst waiting for the traffic to disperse.
- Don’t forget the wine – Cool and refreshing, a vibrant Sauvignon Blanc says summer at first sip! Head to your local Majestic Wines store in the UK to find Fairbourne Sauvignon Blanc.