Here at Fairbourne Estate, our New Zealand summer may be coming to an end, but for all of you who enjoy our wine in the Northern Hemisphere yours is just beginning, and we understand it’s going to be a cracker of a weekend in the UK, where temperatures are set to sizzle up to 23C in weather hotter than the Mediterranean!
What better way to celebrate a beautiful early summer weekend than with a lunch time get together enjoying fresh, seasonal fare and great wine!
It’s about this time of year that delicious Jersey Royal New Potatoes are at their best… Their fabulous flavour comes from the unique growing conditions on the island of Jersey. The potatoes are often grown in fields too steep to be harvested mechanically, so are hand harvested, much like our Fairbourne Sauvignon Blamc grapes. Jersey Royals are a true seasonal delight, the crops are short-lived so enjoy them while you can.
We found this great recipe online, that includes Jersey Royals and delicious smoked salmon, we’re sure it will pair beautifully with Fairbourne Premium Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.
Jersey Royals with Hot Smoked Salmon, and Watercress Salad in a Horseradish Dressing
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 2
- 500g Jersey Royal new potatoes
- 100g crème fraîche
- 1 tsp creamed horseradish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 hot smoked salmon fillets, skinned and flaked
- 1 bunch watercress, rinsed
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the potatoes and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender
- Mix together the crème fraîche and creamed horseradish. Add enough lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Drain the potatoes and leave to cool slightly. Add the spring onions and salmon. Stir in the crème fraîche mix until all the ingredients have a light coating. Toss in the watercress and serve, ether slightly warm or cold.