It’s official the U.K. summer has arrived, with a wee heatwave last month, it could be the start of something good, and it’s even been dry for Wimbledon so far!
As things officially start to heat up, it’s time to roll out the Barbecue. As Antipodeans we’re used to cooking, eating and entertaining outside, so we thought we’d share our top tips on how to host the perfect barbecue.
- Start with the guest list – Work out how many can you cater for your place? Remember that you can keep things informal at a barbecue, let it run all afternoon or all evening. So you may find guests dip in and out of your soiree at different times, meaning you can invite a few more bodies than your pad could handle at a sit down formal supper.
- Plan a stonking menu – Think beyond the humble sausage and burger. Choose chicken, fish or seafood to pair with Fairbourne premium Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. This website features some awesome recipes… Including these divine Monkfish Kebabs. Don’t forget to check your guests dietary requirements and include some vegetarian options. Remember that whilst the grill is the star of the show it also needs some supporting acts, so don’t skip the side dishes.
- Be prepared – The great thing about barbecue food is that much of it can be prepared in advance. Your meats will love marinades and your salads will rest superbly as long as you keep them cool. So do as much as you can the night before. If you learned to be prepared in the Scouts, you may also have learned that lighting a fire (or a grill) is not always the easiest thing to do, especially if a breeze is blowing… So have plenty of charcoal and fire lighters on hand.
- Check the weather – Yes it’s been a pretty decent start to summer, but remember the U.K. can be unpredictable. Think about borrowing or hiring a gazebo just in case things take a turn for the worse.
- Order your wine – Head to your local Majestic Wines store in the UK to find Fairbourne Sauvignon Blanc.