June 18th marks International Picnic Day! The word picnic comes from the French language, and it’s believed this type of informal outdoor meal became a popular pastime in France after the Revolution. Find out more HERE.
While, some may consider an al fresco dining experience a summer occassion. At Fairbourne we believe, that much like our delicious Sauvignon Blanc wine, a hamper full of tasty treats is a joy that can transcend all seasons! So whether you are in the Northern or Southern hemisphere we have a few picnic ideas that will help you mark the occasion!
A summer picnic
A family feast full of fun and games, or a lunch for two in the beautiful English countryside. Who doesn’t love a summer picnic.
What to pack:
- Antipasto skewers are always a family hit
- A cheerful cheesboard. Include a delicious Chevre and salty Feta
- Smoked salmon
- Potato salad, try this recipe for Jersey Royals with Hot Smoked Salmon, and Watercress Salad in a Horseradish Dressing
- A summer salad of peppery rocket or cress
- Fresh ciabatta with wasabi mayo
- Something sweet try fresh, succulent nectarines
- The main ingredient… A bottle of Fairbourne Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, chilled to perfection! Head to your local Majestic Wines store to find yours
A winter picnic
Celebrate mid-winter with the family around a bonfire, add some sparklers to mark the occasion, or wrap up warm and dine under the stars for a truly romantic picnic experience.
What to pack:
- Soup in a thermos. Seafood chowder or chicken soup for the soul
- Carbs to keep the warmth in… Warm cheddar sandwiches with chutney
- Whitebait fritters. Cook in a pan over the fire! Check out our favourite recipe here
- Rice paper rolls with dipping sauce. Check out this recipe on taste.com
- A winter salmon salad, made with roasted brussels sprouts, fennel, broccoli and potato, and drizzled with a red wine vinagrette
- The main ingredient… A bottle of Fairbourne Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Check out our list of stockists to find yours