The evenings are darker and the temperatures cooler… Winter has well and truly arrived in the U.K. and with it comes the desire to hunker down mid-week with some good old-fashioned comfort food, a glass of wine and Blue Planet on catch up!
Nothing can be more comforting than roast chicken and veggies… That’s why we believe that Monday should be the new Sunday!
Okay, we understand that you might not want to cook a full roast meal on a Monday evening after work, but in all honesty, if you throw your bird in the oven when you walk in the door, by the time you’ve changed into your civvies, sorted your to-do list for the next day and poured a glass of Fairbourne Sauvignon Blanc, your chicken will be almost cooked. Make things easier for yourself… Substitute roast potatoes for creamy, mashed spuds and stir fry some seasonal veggies to keep things simple.
The good news is that the leftovers from your Monday evening meal, can be used in all sorts of thrifty domestic god/goddess ways, to create some fabulous mid-week winter warmers… Try one of these recipes:
- A lovely mustardy bake with roast chicken and broccoli.
- Warm things up with this spicy chicken and chorizo jambalaya.
- These cheesy chicken crispbakes are easy to make mid-week, serve with a simple side salad.
- Roast some Kumara and fill them with a tasty, creamy chicken mixture. View the recipe here.
- Get double thrifty by stripping the meat from your chicken and boiling up the carcass to make your own stock. Then make some heartwarming roast chicken soup.
All of these meals need just one extra ingredient to make them perfect, a chilled glass of Fairbourne Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. You may even manage to make one bottle stretch to two nights!
Head to your local Majestic Wines store in the UK to find yours.